There was a time when my wife and I could go to Target, and the only things we’d have to worry about kicking up our bill were bags of M&M’s or home decor items no one really needs.
Now we have twin babies. These days, our cart fills up with diapers, baby food and a variety of odds and ends I never even knew those little people needed. It adds up fast.
In the first year alone, parents can expect to spend at least $20,000, according to a NerdWallet survey. While a big portion of that number comes from daycare and medical costs, those everyday items can make you want to cry louder than your baby.
Luckily, we found an app that can help you save big time as you load up on some of those costly things you need to keep your baby happy and healthy.
You may know Ibotta as a great way to get cash back on groceries, but have you looked at all of the baby items it features?
Get up to $6 Cash Back on Baby Formula
We all know breastfeeding is the most affordable way to nourish your little one. I mean, Mother Nature provides the good stuff for free, right?
While as many as 83% of babies are breastfed, fewer than half of them are breastfed exclusively, even during the first three months, according to the CDC. That means parents are filling the gap with formula.
At nine months old, our twins are primarily breastfed and still go through two cans of formula per week at roughly $20 per can. Ouch.
Here are just a few of the recent formula deals we’ve seen on the app:
- Similac: $3 cash back from multiple stores, including Target and Walmart.
- Enfamil NeuroPro: $4 cash back at Walmart.
- Parent’s Choice: $3 cash back at Walmart.
- CVS Health: $4 cash back at CVS Pharmacy.
- Member’s Mark: $4 cash back at Sam’s Club.
- Gerber Natura Organic: $6 cash back at multiple stores including Meijer, Publix and Walmart.
- Berkley Jensen: $4 cash back at BJ’s.
We’re not talking a few cents here.
If you’re using formula at all, you can be saving significant money by using Ibotta. Just find a deal for your favorite brand, snap a photo of your receipt with the app, and bam — cash back.
Bonus: When you earn your first cash-back offer through the app, you’ll pocket a $10 bonus.
Get up to $3 Back on Baby Food
Eventually, your little bundle of joy will need more than just milk. Pretty soon, you’ll be filling your cart with an amazing variety of pureed veggies and fruits that will inevitably end up all over your baby’s bib, in their hair and on the floor. But that’s all part of the experience, right?
Ibotta can help out here, too. Get these tidier treats:
- Happy Baby Clearly Crafted Pouches: Get 75 cents cash back when you buy any three at Walmart, or $2.50 cash back on a 10-pack at Sam’s Club.
- Gerber Organic Pouches: Get $3 cash back on a 12-pouch box at Sam’s Club.
- Beech Nut Organic Pouches: $2 cash back at multiple stores, including Food Lion, Meijer and Babies R Us.
Earn up to $3 When You Buy Vitamins, Wipes, Bottles and More
The list doesn’t stop there. There are tons of odds and ends we need to keep our babies happy and healthy. Here are a few of the best deals:
- Zarbees Baby Vitamins: $3 cash back at multiple stores, including CVS, Meijer and Publix.
- Aveeno baby products: $1 cash back at Walmart.
- Johnson’s Baby Products: $1 to $3 cash back at Walmart.
- Desitin: $2 cash back on a 16-ounce jar at Walmart.
- Huggies Wipes: 50 cents cash back at Walgreens.
- Baby Bum Products: $1.50 cash back at multiple stores, including Target and Buy Buy Baby.
- Playtex Baby Bottles: $3 cash back at Walmart.
Earn up to 18% Cash Back When You Shop Online
What new parent has extra time to go to stores? Ibotta can help you save money with your online shopping, too.
For example, we’ve seen deals for:
- Up to 5.5% cash back from Amazon.
- 5% cash back from Etsy.
- 4% cash back from Groupon.
- 2% cash back from Buy Buy Baby
- 3% cash back from Overstock.com.
- 18% cash back from Warby Parker.
Just download the app for free, select “Find Offers” and the mobile shopping category, then shop your favorite retailer through the portal.
Look Before You Shop
The best way to take advantage of Ibotta deals is to take a look through the app before you head to the store and see which deals are available. Are your favorite brands offering deals? Are you willing to try a different brand to save a few bucks?
We don’t see any diaper cash back deals on the app right now, but keep checking. We also have seen some sneaky ways to get free diapers.
If you haven’t tried Ibotta yet and you have a bouncing baby bungling your budget, now is the time to sign up.
With all the money you’ll save, you can get a great start on that college fund… because you do want them to get a great job and move out eventually, right?
Tyler Omoth is a staff writer at The Penny Hoarder who loves soaking up the sun and finding creative ways to help others. Catch him on Twitter at @Tyomoth.
The Penny Hoarder Promise: We provide accurate, reliable information. Here’s why you can trust us and how we make money.